Ocular Status of Inter-State Commercial Drivers: A Cross Sectional Study in Odisha, India

JS Kshatri, PC Pradhan, S Patro, RM Tripathy


INTRODUCTION: Road traffic accident is a major health problem worldwide. Driving is a visually intensive task which requires several sets of abilities which include sensory ability (mainly visual). In view of the importance of good vision in safe driving this study was conducted to assess the ocular status of inter-state commercial drivers in Berhampur Odisha.

MATERIALS AND METHODS: This descriptive cross-sectional study was conducted over three months among inter-state truck drivers. All the respondents had their eyes examined. Their visual acuities and colour vision were assessed with the aid of Snellen’s chart and Ishihara pseudochromatic plates respectively. The data obtained was collated and analysed with the aid of Statistical Package for Social Sciences (SPSS) 20.0.1 statistical software.

RESULTS: 195 truck drivers were included in this study. The duration of driving experience of the respondents revealed that majority of the respondents (38%) had more than 20 years driving experience. Few respondents (7.7%) used recommended glasses while majority (92.3%) did not use recommended glasses. Most respondents (94.35% and 91.28%) had visual acuity of 6/5- 6/18 in the better eye and second eye respectively. Most respondents with eye problem (65.1%) did not seek eye treatment. All the respondents had normal colour vision. Most of the respondents (70.2%) did not have ocular morbidity. Few respondents 37 (19%) had history of involvement in RTA while driving and the remaining 158 (81%) had not been involved in RTA. The visual acuity in the better and second eye did not significantly affect involvement in road traffic accident with a p-value of 0.94 and 0.61 respectively.

Full Text: PDF HTML


  • There are currently no refbacks.